The blog of a man STILL addicted to beef jerky

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it

Yes, I did just quote Vanilla Ice. Anywho, I'll start off with how my week went. The news of the week is that my male cat Splinter died. He had to be put to sleep because he was suffering from complete kidney failure. He was 10 years old, and I honestly believe that he was the best cat ever. When I find out how, I'm gonna upload a picture of him onto my blog. I miss not being able to pet him and have him take a nap on me, but I'm fine now.

Aside from that, I played some intramural tennis earlier this week, and once again it rained. It always rains on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, because those are the intramural tennis days. I took my computer science exam on Friday, and I believe I did really well, which is a good thing, since it's my major.

Now for the contemplative part of my blog. I've noticed that just about everyone on campus walks to or from class on a cell phone. It's almost like they HAVE to talk on them, kind of like people HAVE to smoke a cigarette. I pondered why people are always on them. Obviously some of them are making plans to hang out with friends later, or talking to someone in their family, but what about the rest? You can't really talk to be cool, since practically everyone (not me and a few other people), has a cell phone. I came up with a theory.

When you walk and don't talk on a cell phone, you can actually think your own thoughts. You're bombarded with other people's opinions when you walk and talk on a cell phone. Walking to or from class is one of the few times where you can actually think clearly, because there aren't many distractions. Following this line of reasoning, I'm lead to believe that people that talk on cell phones all the time, especially going to or from class, are not capable of thinking their own thoughts, and must receive input from others. People are told what is cool, the things they're supposed to like, and in case you don't like it, there's another brand of marketing that's just for you.

If you walk around, you won't find many people that are really "original". Many people you can place into a certain group without much thought. Those are the people that watch MTV and read magazines that tell them who's popular, what you're supposed to wear, and all that. The people that don't do that follow some other "non-conformist" group. Since all the non-conformist people conform to each other, they defeated their purpose by not conforming. The point is that they're still told how not to conform. How about they make their own ideas about what they do and don't want to confrom to? How about people not talk on cell phones constantly and spend that time thinking their own thoughts?

People rely on others to do work for them, and in this case, it's thinking. People aren't comfortable with themselves enough to do what they want. No one wants to be an outcast, and in order to not be, they sacrifice their personalities and opinions. I hope that I don't conform to what people want me to do, because it's easy to do.

Peace out everyone, be who you are, not what others want you to be.

2 Comments:

  • People do feel a need in this society to be constantly stimulated. Peace and quiet, which once was appreciated, is now feared. This society is designed to prevent deep, meaninful thought.

    By Blogger Josh K, at 12:53 AM  

  • Word to your mother! ......*ahem* I am quoting vannila ice aswell.

    By Blogger Benjammin, at 11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home